Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Death, she's a greedy bitch.

Almost every morning we watch the Today Show. Each Wednesday Willard Scott gets on and wishes centenarians Happy Birthday from Smucker's. It's funny how when you get a knock from death's door you look at this happy announcement a little differently.

Babies die before they're born. There's so many kids dying from awful cancers. People in the prime of their lives die from preventable diseases. We kill ourselves slowly with tobacco and McDonald's.

We all know eventually our lives are going to end. We want to do something with our lives to make some sort of impact in this small world of ours Personally, I've made peace with my death. I have not made peace with the death of my children or my husband. I can only hope it will be a long time until I see them, hopefully I will not have to see my children's or their children's.

I've been to a number of funerals, I've played many roles. I've been the nervous granddaughter playing "Amazing Grace" for her grandma on the violin. The emo teenager wishing she would've been nicer to her grandpa before he died. The daughter wishing she would've been braver in confronting the man she called daddy, making difficult decisions about whether or not to have a funeral for someone she really didn't like, but loved with her whole being. The daughter-in-law trying her best to hold it together for a grieving wife and mother who didn't know how she was going to make her next house payment. The friend who wished she would've done more, said more. The friend of a friend just there to hold a hand and offer a tissue. Death sucks, but we all have to do it sometime. I'd rather not do it with him, not for awhile anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment